Translate

Friday 28 June 2013

Oh, the weather outside is frightful ....

It's been bucketing it down today relentlessly, so have been getting myself better acquainted with Miss Maudie ... Yes you were all right ... I can't pull the wool over your eyes, now can I?


Aged 97 years old, still working hard, looking pretty good too ... and yes, she sings like a dream!


I wonder what tales she could tell ... when we took the case off, there was a lot of dust and grime, but the bobbin in the bullet casing was still loaded, all the tools were still in the little drawer (along with a Sutherland's Beef Paste lid!) and she was a smooth mover ... I think in her past life she was a very well-used, much loved member of her family. She cost me £10!  Here's to the next century ...


Not long now ...  six more sleeps, and it's Millie's Leaver's Ball! Promise I'll share it with you ...

I'd just like to leave you with the link for Hettie Brown's thrifty, planet-saving plan (or click on the button on the right) ... I'm sure lots of you will already be familiar with it, but if not, hers is a wonderful blog, and you won't be sorry you had a peek ... 

Hope the weekend's kind to you all, and that the sun shines on you ...

Love, Claire xxx







19 comments:

  1. Lovely - you can't beat an old sewing machine and I look forward to seeing your creations
    I hope that it is sunny tomorrow!
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow and again wow!! She is a beautiful thing. Eleanor xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Claire,

    Love your little Singer and it was like the sort that my Mother first had and I learned to sew on.
    Hope you get some sunshine there, this weekend.

    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow! Can't wait to see what you make with Miss Maudie
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Maudie is wonderful, what a lucky find.....or did she find you I wonder??! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh she's beautiful ... I am hankering after one ... one day, one day ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Miss Maudie! Looking forward to seeing what you can do x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that you are going to use it!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Maudie is a beauty indeed! Can't wait to see what you make...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh they really made things to last back then, how nice to be able to give it a new place to shine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful looking item isnt it Claire, and of course they did make things to last back then.Why they cant do it now is beyond me? I suppose people like the latest models of things.Enjoy your week and look forward to seeing your post about the Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  12. £10? I am looking everywhere for an old sewing machine and an old typewriter, one day I know I will walk into some obscure shop and there they will be. I've just got to learn patience! Have a wonderful week. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, if you're in the Peterborough area, have you tried Sue Ryder Vintage and Retro in Bridge St Peterborough. I've seen Singers and old typewriters in there :)

      Delete
  13. What a stunner Miss Maudie is!

    Thought of you today ... I was in Ulverston and peered through the windows of Violet and the Peapod. I'll be back in the autumn, on a day hopefully when the shop's open and we can maybe meet for a coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it's beautiful. And only £10! Wonderful to know it still works so well too, after so long. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It will be so interesting to see how you get on with it.
    Glad you're still here now the witching hour (midnight July 1st) has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ~ Morning Mrs Thriftwood..Well I am a thinking Maudie is just what was needed to complete your sewing room.." The icing on the cake" if you will....What a snip as well! Enjoy her Claire! Am a thinking of Millie, she will look so beautiful! The Bell of the Ball! I have been a busy Bee,(Brum) but am back home now! See you as soon as can bee! Hugs Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Miss Maudie is delightful! And how wonderful that she is being used again. Loved your pictures today! There is an old sewing machine in our attic....am thinking I might have a little look at it and maybe even try sewing with it!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think of my ramblings and value all your comments ... I will try and get back to you, but am sorry if I don't always manage this ... sometimes real life just gets in the way! Claire xxx