Translate

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Summertime ... and the living is easy


During the dark, grey days of winter .... sorry ... summer, I've had lots of time on my hands, so on my days off, when I'd normally be pottering around the garden, skipping about doing summery things, and going off on jollies, I've been confined to barracks, and been finding fault with my surroundings.  When we moved in 5 years ago, the house had basically been done up to sell, but not done up very well! (New bathroom suite, not fixed to wall or floor; wooden flooring fitted but with no gaps, so every autumn it rises alarmingly in the centre; front room decorated but 80's Artex left in situ .... oh dear, I could write a book!)


This is the front room, which we just painted cream and then didn't really do much else.  It's a south-facing room, and while on sunny days is really bright, in winter seemed to lack a little warmth.


One Friday morning two weeks ago, I got up, went straight to Homebase (I stock up on my Farrow & Ball paints when it's 15% off weekend ... this is Thriftwood, after all!) and spent about an hour umming and aahing over the colour chart. I went home, cleared the first area to be painted, and started (I don't mess about, I just do it ... purists please close your ears!)  The first four images are of the room before I attacked it.


I do think it lacks warmth, even though I brightly accessorise ...


 I haven't a clue what that is in the left hand corner of the above photo ... there's nothing there! And it's definitely not my thumb which is the usual explanation! Ideas on a postcard please!

This is the transformation ... even though the colour is not bright, it just seems to make everything blend in more.  I chose French Grey from Farrow and Ball ... I love the chalky finish their paint gives, and it even subdued the Artexed wall. It was painted in a silk finish before, and I think that just highlighted the problem. I can't even see it's gorgeous ripply bumpiness on this pic ....


A change of curtains ... not new, given to me by my cousin when she moved home.  I snapped them up even though they had been in a damp conservatory and were very mildewy.  I hung them on the washing line, sprayed liberally with Dettol Mould & Mildew Remover (excellent stuff), left them for a while and then machine washed them.   Good as new ... bet she wants them back now!


A bit of Elmer going on here, I think ...


Sofa part of Ercol cottage suite (£45), oak bookcase (£30) ... pictures cost pennies from car boot sales ...


Lamps £1 each, shades 50p but revamped by me.


Artex rearing it's ugly head on this wall above.


Flowers on mantelpiece from my garden ... I am actually growing wheat! We think the only explanation is that the corn in spilt chicken feed has germinated ... Haha, I could make my own flour!


This morning my friend came round, and I was telling her about my home made furniture polish, so I made a bowlful and gave my old pine cupboards a treat.  As the room gets a lot of sun, the wood does become dry and parched, but this is the ideal remedy.  Simply pour some cheap olive oil in a bowl, add the juice of a lemon, mix, and apply to your furniture.  I usually put one lot on and leave it to soak in for a while, then apply a second lot and buff.  The lemon juice cleans the wood and the oil feeds and shines it. It makes the room smell lovely too, and is a lot more rewarding than a spray can! Ruby liked it too ... she was following me around licking it, yuk!



 I don't really buy cleaning products nowadays, I just use lemon juice, vinegar, and an awful lot of bicarbonate of soda.  Kinder to your purse, but also kind to the planet!


 More garden flowers ... the poppies are everywhere this year ..


And below, six little lovelies waiting to be transformed! When I did the last two vintage fairs, I don't know if you remember, but I sold a couple of cupboards me and Steve had renovated.  At both fairs I received orders to make more, so have been going off on my thrifty travels amassing cupboards ...








They've been sanded and given a coat of primer at the weekend, but unfortunately rain stopped play, so hopefully this weekend, we'll get them painted (or Steve will!) and then I can titivate! That's the bit I love best ... hopefully my commissionees will like them! Will share them with you when they're done.

I'd just like to end by saying thank you so much for all your lovely comments on my last posting ... it certainly seemed to strike a chord with you all.  I'm going to Leeds next week to see Jacob before he goes away to France to work for the rest of the summer ... hankies at the ready!!



Hope the sun shines for you this week,

Love, Claire xxx

56 comments:

  1. Your home is lovely.....in fact just perfect, somewhere that looks like a real good home. I used to have one of the two seater cottage sofa years ago, I'd love to drop on one again as I have the perfect place for it. The tip re olive oil and lemon juice, I'll be trying that one out.Looking forward to the makeover of the cupboards, I'm lucky that I've been given some very good pieces of furniture which my OH has painted up for me, I'll share these too.
    The little blob on the photo....I reckon it could be an orb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, what lovely comments, you're very kind! Sorry to disappoint ... The 'orb' is a chandelier droplet! Looks like is on the wall, but actually in the middle of the room. My son, Harry, spotted what it was immediately! I am a silly moo xxx

      Delete
  2. Love the makeover. A lovely post. I have tried to leave comments on previous posts but your comments box had disappeared but now I seem to have it back - no doubt Blogger up to its old tricks!
    Have a great time titivating your cupboards!
    June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you June ... Sorry you've been having trouble, other visitors have mentioned it too ... Hopefully it's sorted now. I hate technology, and can't cope if things go wrong on computer. Am a complete technophobe, I'm afraid xxx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post and a lovely Blog Claire. So glad I found you! Makes my day to read a nice blog! Wish I had some time off to just do what I NEED to do to Marso Towers if only I worked part time again! I have so many projects to do and so many in my head and no time to start any! You are an inspiration!
    Julie aka mrsmarsa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Julie, you've really made my day too! Hop hope you get a bit of spare time to tackle your projects! Xxx

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post Claire! Love the colour you've painted you walls, looks very cosy! Can't wait to see your cupboard transformations!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria ... I love you dropping in! Will share cupboard makeovers as soon as weather allows us to proceed! Xxx

      Delete
  5. Your room was already lovely, but it does look cosier in the new colour, it gives it more character and lets all your special bits and pieces shine out! I hope I can be as successful when I finally choose a colour and do our bedroom! All the little cupboards look as if they are begging to get your makeover. I will be looking forward to seeing them again soon!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alix, how are you getting on with bedroom? Am sure it will be beautiful when it's done. Have a lovely week xxx

      Delete
  6. I love the colour, it perfectly sets of all your wooden furniture. what on earth is that in the top left of that photo? A UFO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sorry, very mundane ... A chandelier droplet! Xxx

      Delete
  7. I showed my son Harry, and he immediately recognised it as one of the droplets on my chandelier! It's in the centre of the room, that's why I was confused, not that it takes much! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mrs Thrifty!
    I love the colour of your front room Claire.....
    It makes all your pretty things stand out more, some how...
    You are gonna be busy with your make overs too...
    I must try the special furniture polish as I love these thrifty tips!
    See you soon!
    Love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much to talk about on Friday, Mrs Miller! see you then xxx

      Delete
  9. Love your gray wall they make the room look so cosy. Thanks for your furniture polish tip, just what my pine dressing table needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dressing table will be eternally grateful, I assure you! Xxx

      Delete
  10. Hi Claire
    I love French Grey, and totally agree about you do get what you pay for with F&B paint as it's so densely pigmented. I am just tackling a pine dresser with Ball Green and New White!! I really enjoyed that post, and I think your living room looks really beautiful x
    PS Shame it's a crystal droplet - I fancied that it was a mini-spaceship come to peep at your thriftiness :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, and I agree, a little spaceship would have been much more interesting! Xxx

      Delete
  11. Beautiful colour, definitely compliments the room. Your house is lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room looks lovely and you have made me think now. I always go for cream or light coloured walls and would be too scared to use a colour like that but it looks flipping fab in your living room! I have my fireplace painted French Grey and it's quite greeny. I think F&B colours look quite scary on the paintchart, dark and dull but on the wall they seem to look great. I am very tempted to try a darker colour now after seeing yours!
    It looks great. Off for another look!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy ... I'd already used the colour for some dining chairs, so knew I liked it. The colour chart is a bit daunting, but everything I've used has always turned out ok. Used rectory red on my hall walls, and when it first went on locked like disco pink! Bite the bullet and be brave, I'm sure it'll look fab! Xxx

      Delete
  13. I love French Gray and use it a lot for up cycling furniture. It has really lifted your room - it's a great backdrop for all your lovely accessories. Now as for the mysterious object - could it be an orb (or have I watched to many episodes of Most Haunted)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, I've used it for furniture too, that's why I knew I loved the shade. I find it more green than grey, but like all their colours, looks totally different than on colour chart! Xx

      Delete
  14. Hi Claire, seem to have missed your comments box too, but now back. Love, love the colour,it does make the room more cosier, I have Brassica by Farrow and Ball which is a cabbage purple colour, but looks lovely on the walls.
    Aliens have come to see your lovely new room and get ideas fortheir vintage fairs in the alien spaceship! Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish it was aliens Julie, sounds very exciting! Only a chandelier droplet, I'm afraid! That colour sounds lovely, I'll have to check it out. Sorry you've been having trouble with comments form ... Technology, grrrr! Xxx

      Delete
  15. Hello Claire
    I love the colour you chose it really warms up your room, I too love doing up old furniture, but yes you do need good weather,( its meant to be on its way), Thank you for the wood oil tip
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thea ... Hope weather is turning bright ... Was like November here today! Xxx

      Delete
  16. Hello Claire, Wow what a transformation. The colour has really made a difference. I don't know what's in the corner of your photo, it looks like a pearl earring or a door knob, how strange. I'm really jealous of your lovely poppies, very pretty. My garden isn't producing any flowers this year. I'll be trying your homemade polish out, thanks for the tip. Hope there's not too many tears when your son leaves. I'm sure he's going to have a lovely time. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, love you popping in! Chandelier droplet to blame! Hope you're ok and sun's shining xxx

      Delete
  17. Hi Claire,
    Your transformation of your room is so lovely. I am so impressed with all your thrifty bargains! You made me smile,I am like you when he comes to decorating my preparation is minimal I just what to get the paint on the walls!
    I don't have my cleaning products. I will be trying out your home-made polish.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sarah ... I really don't do prep! I know you should, but it always looks ok, I'm just too impatient. I've heard tha Annie Sloan paint requires no prep for furniture ... Fantastic, will have to look into it! Have a lovely week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Claire, I love what you have done and completely agree about the lovely finish that farrow and ball paint gives.I used it for the first time recently and didnt believe it could be so much better than other paint, but it is.I love the colour you used, it looks perfect and all your finishing touches are great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Anne, thank you very much for your lovely comments. I too didn't know what it was like, but had heard so much about it, had to try for myself, and now I don't really use anything else. I've used the exterior paint for garden furniture too and it lasts really well and has a lovely smooth finish. Enjoy your week xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks a lovely colour - just what your room needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for popping in, and thank you for your lovely comment, Claire xxx

      Delete
  22. Hiya Claire...love the colour ! your house looks lovely and great idea to use natural products for cleaning. Look forward to seeing your painted cupboards..I am waiting for a dry spell so I can paint a dresser...fingers crossed ! Gail x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gail, nice to see you ... keeping my fingers crossed so we can get on with our painting projects!

      Love, Claire xx

      Delete
  23. Great job sweetie the room looks so much better now, cosier and warmer :) love the colour as well bet you won't want to leave the room to go to bed now! have a happy evening.

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deborah, welcome to Thriftwood, lovely of you to pop in, thanks for your lovely words, Claire xxx

      Delete
  24. I love a bit of Elmer - in the patchwork variety.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Nina, thanks for popping in! It really does remind me of Elmer ... But that's not a bad thing! Have a lovely weekend, Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lots of lovely things to look at and ooo over Claire. Thank you for the polish recipe - I will give that one a go (not that I do too much polishing but I always use Dom's old underpants (after being washed!) as rags). Lovely colourful throw too - I also like how you meticulously state how much things cost. I do that too - why is that I wonder?
    Down here the weather feels like Autumn some mornings and I can see the spider's webs stringing out across the garden already! It is painful trying to get the washing dry....
    Anyway tra la la and all the best for the weekend
    Jenny xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I always show off about how cheaply I've got something ... I'm proud of it! People say not to tell everyone I got things from jumble sales, car boots, charity shops, etc, but why not? Hope you ave a lovely weekend, and things are a but calmer now. Xxx

      Delete
  27. Thank you for following me! I just love your front room renovations and look forward to seeing what you do with the little cupboards. I use the same home-made polish too! C xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Carrad, welcome to Thriftwood! Thank you for your lovely comments too.

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. That paint certainly makes your room feel warmer and I love the matt effect of it as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your renovation results! Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joan, thanks for popping in! The cupboards are a WIP and will definitely share them with you when they're done. Hope you're enjoying your Sunday ... Claire xxx

      Delete
  30. The sitting room looks lovely, a favourite colour of mine. And I'm looking forward to seeing the cupboard transformation.
    I also just read the previous post, what a beautiful poem I'm going to keep it as I'm only a couple of years away from that with my eldest.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Jay and welcome to Thriftwood! Have popped over to you and left you a comment. The poem is lovely, and has a tearful effect on me every time I read it! Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pardon my expression but I've just had a 'good old rummage' around your blog and I am so happy to know you are here, what a great little blog! The colour in your room is beautiful, bet it will be really cosy this winter. Like your bedside cabinets, I have just brought one, plus some little coffee tables, thinking lick of paint and vintage wallpaper treatment! How do you stick the wallpaper on? Will follow you then I can keep up with what else you get up to!!! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello Ada, and a very warm welcome! I just stick the wallpaper on with thick wallpaper paste, but have bought some Mod Podge, so will probably start using that. Please have a look at my new post, as I've made a fantastic discovery! Hope you have a lovely week, Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Mod Podge too....weird bunch aren't we, getting all excited over paint and glue!!! Ada :)

      Delete
  34. Good Evening, just read your post picked up from The Custards post,love the idea of Annie Sloan miracle! paint,will have to purchase some as I have a few things I would like to paint.Love the pictures of your painted sitting room,like all your bits and bobs of china etc!Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Welcome Pam, it's lovely to meet new people ... must just pop over to you now! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think of my ramblings and value all your comments ... I will try and get back to you, but am sorry if I don't always manage this ... sometimes real life just gets in the way! Claire xxx